American Postal Workers Union, AFL-CIO
Milwaukee Area Local
Proudly Announces Our Fifteenth Scholarship Year
Two (2) $500.00 Scholarships will be awarded
* The John Akey Memorial Scholarship
* The Milwaukee Area Local Scholarship
RULES AND GUIDELINES
- This scholarship application is offered to current graduating high school seniors.
- The applicant must be a child, stepchild or legally adopted child of a current active member in good standing or of a deceased member of the Milwaukee Area Local.
- The local’s Recording Secretary will verify member’s eligibility before any application will be considered for an award.
- The scholarship recipient must attend an accredited college, university or vocational technical school of their choice leading to a two year or four year certificate or degree.
- Winners must be accepted into an accredited school within 4 months of naming the winners.
- When the recipient notifies the Milwaukee Area Local Treasurer that he/she will be accepted, the Treasurer will send (to the school’s business office) a check in the school’s name. The scholarship will be paid directly to the educational facility.
- In the event that the student does not attend or drops out, any monies refunded must be returned to the Milwaukee Area Local.
- Students can win the scholarship only once.
- The application and the completed essay, must be received by May 17, 2017 in order to be considered for an award.
The winners will be notified by May 22, 2017.
Disputes concerning eligibility must be made to the scholarship committee and the decisions of the committee will be final.
Scholarship entries sent through the mail should be directed to the below address.
Please enclose the completed application along with the required essay to:
APWU Milwaukee Area Local
c/o John Miceli
417 N. 3rd St.
Milwaukee, WI 53203
The completed essay must be attached to:
- A one-page cover sheet showing the student’s name, address, phone number, name of graduating school
and the name of the parent who is a union member. Do NOT put your name on the essay.
- All applicants must submit an essay. This year the students will be required to write an essay that answers the following question;
How has the APWU improved the lives of Postal Workers?
- Essays must be typed written and double spaced. Essays must be 500-700 words in length.
- The Scholarships will be awarded primarily on the basis of the essay’s worthiness, clarity, and originality.
Official Scholarship Application
Scholarship applicant’s name: ________________________________________
Telephone # _________________
Home Address: _________________________ City ______________ State _______ Zip ___________
I will graduate from ____________________ High School, located in ____________________ (city)
in _____________________________ (month and year).
I will attend _______________________________ (college, university or vocational school)
in ___________________________ (city and state). I will be enrolled for the ____________ (term)
Parent/Legal Guardian’s Name ______________________________________
Signature of Student Applicant ______________________________________